Wednesday 11 July 2007

Pros, Cons and Pics


This pic sums up my non-dance daytimes in Chicago, lazing about on an almost deserted beach (most people have jobs, believe it or not!) working on building up my freckle collection.

To see the rest of my pics, go to www.flickr.com/photos/susanelena/

This section is completely nicked from Isla, but it's such a good idea so...

Likes

Turning right on a red - as a driver this is great, keeps traffic flowing and stops me getting frustrated waiting for lights to change when there's nobody around.
The friendliness of the people - Chicagoans have a Mid-West attitude so they might look you up and down and check out your outfit but then they'll smile and compliment you.
The exchange rate - everything is half price.
The dance community - so much going on even though it's summer and things have slowed down.
Having the beach and the city on my doorstep - it's why I loved Brighton so much and it's even better here.
Having a base for the month - feel more relaxed and more involved in life here.
The range of police vehicles - everything from roller blades - bikes - quadbikes - weird robo-cop 2 wheel stand up motorised things.
The weather - a bad day is 28C! Even I can stand the odd thunderstorm (as long as I'm indoors and it's over quickly).
Free Refills - buy one coffee, get 3 mugs full. Brilliant idea!
Getting ID'd - I know they do it to everyone but it still makes me smile when they ask for it.
Cheap, effective public transport - yeah, I know, I don't do public transport but if it was a pound a journey and I could go everywhere I wanted to 24 hours a day I might use ours more.

Dislikes

Turning right on a red - as a pedestrian this is a nightmare, the light says walk but you've got a car coming round the corner towards you. Quite nerve-wracking when it's boy-racers heading in my direction.
Perverts - enough said.
The media - the news is read out in 3 second bursts in the most dramatic way they can think of.
Roadside 'honk for X' protests - completely useless for anything other than making a lot of noise.
Policemen smoking in uniform - the majority of bars and restaurants are smoke-free yet policemen can stand around puffing away.
Tax not included - if something is a dollar it should be a dollar not a dollar on the shelf then a dollar plus tax at the cash desk. It's so irritating especially when I have no change.
Finding out about things that my Glasgow mates would love to go to but not having anyone here with the same interests - Derrick Carter.

x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey love that shot, looks familiar though!