Monday 16 July 2007

More Moves than you can Shake a Tambourine at!

Since the last post I have signed up to Chicago Moving Company's Intensive, daily class every morning for 2 weeks then a performance project throughout the 2nd week; I have taken my second Breakbone class with slighter better results than the first and still no bruising; I have had the torturous pleasure of a pilates class using equipment and I have walked for miles and miles.

Today alone I walked from Hamlin Park on N Hoyne Ave to Body Endeavours on N Halsted St covering just under 3 miles, then from Body Endeavours all the way back to the flat on N Ainslie St covering a foot-throbbing 5 miles! Ok, I'm not running or swimming these distances but, apart from wandering up and down Buchanan St I never walk this far. Somehow it's easier here because the streets are full of small shops, bars and restaurants to keep me occupied. I don't have to walk past the equivalent of Parkhead stadium or an industrial estate or Bridgeton to get home, plus it's nice weather here which always makes walking more bearable.

On the dance side of things, Cindy Brandle is teaching daily at CMC. I really enjoy her classes and they seem to fly in, there's lots of long, luxurious exercises before she mixes it up with some crazy inverted, upside down, landing in a plank, tucking in, pushing up, cartwheel out of it madness. Plus we have a real live musician, Winston, to make nice noises for us.

Both Cindy and Atalee (Breakbone) have the use of the space at Hamlin Park to develop their choreographic work, teach classes and raid the resources all in exchange for teaching a few freebies a week. I think I could handle that. The space is fantastic, a large studio with proper dance flooring that can be turned into a theatre space whenever it's needed. The office has the usual dance company office clutter, books, dvds, mats, stereos, camcorders, tripods (although annoyingly, none of the camera-tripod connectors) and the building has a free outdoor swimming pool.

Thankfully they both appreciate how fortunate they are to be in this position but it's really making me determined to find a permanent space for FireBox. Something to think about.

I have managed to get a small gang of people who all want to jump around on a beach tomorrow night which is fantastic. The downside is that without a camera-tripod connector I'm a bit stuck. I have a few more options and hopefully something will come through as my hands probably aren't steady enough for 4 hours filming. I'll let you know how it goes later this week.

No comments: