Sunday 8 July 2007

Pervin' USA

Before I even begin this rant I'd like to point out that I have met several gentlemen while I've been here who have been friendly, welcoming and sincere (John, Phil, Kevin plus some random waiters, taxi drivers, etc) and this is in no way a reflection on them BUT why can't I walk down the street for at least a block (check the lingo!) without some pratt shouting out his window, whistling, making kiss kiss noises or just slowing down like some sleazy kerb crawler?

There are plenty of girls walking around who are prettier than me. There are plenty of girls walking around with skimpier clothes on than me. I always make sure I look like I know where I'm going even if sometimes I need to double check. I'm not the only pale girl walking around either. So why am I getting so much hassle? I haven't had so much unwanted attention since I was about 15 on holiday in Turkey and even then I didn't get some weirdo calling his mate while 'pleasuring' himself next to me on the beach.

Yes, that's right. Not only did some fat old perv come and sit next to me to 'enjoy the view' he also called his mate and described me! When I approached the life guards (at which point pervo left) they told me if he comes back they'll call the cops but they didn't even glance in my general direction after that. If it wasn't for the kindness of another family enjoying the sun I would have been left completely on my own with some sex offender lurking in the bushes.

Which I suppose takes me back to where I started, there are some very kind, decent men here such as the father who threatened to kick his butt if he ever saw him again and made me feel comfortable sunbathing next to them but there are also an awful lot of perverts.

No wonder so many people here have guns...

No comments: