Thursday 23 August 2007

The Tory Boys and The 80s Bar

After a day spent on the beach I returned to my room and found another 2 guys in my supposedly female dorm room. I complained again but as there were no other rooms they have a policy of turning female rooms into mixed rooms if it means they can get a few extra people paying $30 a night through the door. The door incidentally doesn't open fully due to a bunk bed in the way. Health and safety seems to be about as high up the list of priorities as guest comfort. I have no moral objection to sharing a room with members of the opposite sex but when I'm travelling alone I'd prefer to have a chance against the lunatic in my room instead of it being 2 6ft guys.

Anyway, rant over. The guys, Pete and Rob, both from London, both members of the Tory party and both very funny, turned out not to be serial killers so we decided to go out for a drink in State St. Santa Barbara is pretty much made up of the beach and State St. First we found an Irish bar but it was pretty dull so we left and had a wander up the street where we discovered a livelier place playing the worst 80s music ever.

The only good song they played all night was Let's Dance and even that had a stupid drum beat over the top. Sacrilege. During the course of the night we got chatting to various locals and 'vacationers' and a good time was had by all.

At the end of the night Amani and Elliott, 2 DJs from LA, invited us to a party and of course I was up for it until the Tory boys ruined my fun by reminding me that I was getting up at 8am to drive to LA in the morning. Those Tories ruin everything!

No comments: