Friday 10 August 2007

Save the Last Dance for me!

Today was my last day dancing in Chicago and I have to say I'm really going to miss it. It feels like I'm back in uni again, dancing for hours every day and working in small groups to help each other figure out the combinations and although I still have American voices shouting at me, this time they are all positive (DT needs to learn a lesson here from her fellow yanks, I work much better with encouragement than with criticism).

All this week I have been dancing with The Dance COLEctive headed up by Margi Cole. My flatmate Liz is a member of TDC so it was great seeing her do what she does best. It was also great doing partner work and being lifted for a change. I am always, always, always the lifter never the liftee. I understand why and I even do it myself when I'm choreographing. I'm tall and fairly strong so when I lift dancers they really fly through the air and it's much more impressive than a small person lifting me and my legs still dragging along the floor. Margi, who is 5'2", showed me different lifts where height differences don't come into it and she actually got me quite a distance off the ground. Something to bear in mind for future.

I also Fedexed my dance clothes home today. Mum, if you're reading this, I'd open the box in a well-ventilated area if I were you. Sorry. I went into the Fedex office yesterday to pick up a box and the address form and even after I asked if I needed an international form he still gave me a US airbill. I filled it in but didn't attach it to the box as I was pretty certain he'd given me the wrong form. Sure enough I took my parcel back in this morning and asked again if he was definitely, positively, without a doubt sure that he'd given me the proper form... "Oh no, you need an International form for that". Deep breath, Susan, count to ten.

After class I cycled my last cycle over to Mindy's house to return her bike. It was quite sad saying goodbye to her as she's similar to Sarah in a lot of ways, not least her youthful face, and I enjoyed hanging around with her. She's planning a trip over to Scotland at some point so fingers crossed we'll meet up again. This time I can take her out til 5am, although probably more like 9am if we're really in the mood!

No comments: