Wednesday 19 September 2007

Too Tired to Move a Muscle

Sleep Paralysis

I had never heard of this term or condition before and even after I'd experienced it I assumed it was just a freaky dream but now I've had it 3 times in 2 weeks and it's starting to become a pain in the proverbial.

For the uninitiated amongst you, which I am assuming is probably the majority unless I've been living under a rock all these years. Sleep paralysis is the temporary paralysis of the body shortly after waking up or, less commonly, shortly before falling asleep (thanks Wikipedia). It feels like your mind is awake but you're unable to move or make any sounds. Very, very scary when you've no idea what's happening and you're trying to shout out for help but you can't make a noise.

The first time I had it was the day we got home from Bestival in Alasdair's house. Just as I was falling asleep I suddenly felt very panicky and realised I couldn't move. I managed to 'wake up' (I assumed I was dreaming at the time) and told Alasdair what had happened. He said he'd had the same 'dream' years ago and not to worry, I wouldn't actually become paralysed. I then went on to have several dreams about being chased and stabbed by people and having to throw knives at them to keep them back (get that shrink on speed dial!) but that's another story.

The second time was probably more scary as this time I was convinced something was wrong with me and I was on my own so had no-one to reassure me or, alternatively, call an ambulance if they woke up and I was paralysed. It happened for the third time last night, I was on my own again and only felt a wee bit worried about it. I'm now concerned that this is going to be a regular occurrence for me. I already get fits of restless leg syndrome and don't think I could put up with something else to disturb my sleep on a regular basis.

Has anyone else had this? Will they become more or less frequent? Any tips on avoiding it? Now that I know what it is I don't feel quite so anxious about them happening and apparently if I move my eyes slowly from side to side I'll be able to 'wake' myself up. Any other suggestions will be most appreciated.

A padded cell is being fitted as I type!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Used to get it years ago, it's caused by amongst other things stress also the fear of the unknown - new school, new job, it passes.It's also associated with a fear of the dark. Relax before bedtime. Don't drink caffiene.